It all came to being when we (me and some friends) decided to get together in bombay.
Amongst the lots of food eating and guzzling cocktails came a point when someone (not in the group, but in a distant land, pursuing a MBA degree) had to give out a presentation on the topic,”What is the purpose of life?”. This was an ideal setting for finding that out, because there had been excess of good food, and nice tequila sunrises. The view was equally up to it, a lake surrounded by lots of green, absolutely lush, and full with life trees. The weather was murky, and the rain played a lively game of hide and seek.
All that good stuff had made us really merry, and when such a question pops up in the middle of such a scenario, there was bound to be lot of thought put into it. The conversation started off on a gentle note with lot’s of one liners being put on the table, including some of the cheesiest ones. Nothing was left to imagination.
- Purpose of life is to have tons of money.
- Kawaski Ninja
- See the seven wonders of the world
- Being a housemate with lots of scantily clad, well chiseled out males/females.
- To be able to do things one fancies, without a second thought or major concern.
- Being successful -> What might be success to you may not be success to me ? So what is success? Well, having your own yardstick and leading up on it.
- Getting married
- Having kids
- Purpose of Life (universe and everything) is 42. But the sad thing is while we come to a more precise question to that answer, we’ll blow it all up, and go extinct.
I guess you get the drift. Then came a pensive phase, where we all went into some self thought process and lot of introspection. The objective was to come up with non trivial purposes. First observation : For different people, there exist different purposes. I mean, the purpose of life for various people in world is to just scrape it throught the day. This post is not addressing that.
This kid’s situation is a basis of the set of people we were talking about.
After we all came to concensus on that point, the other points emerged.
- Purpose of life is about a feeling of well being, and safe state. Where one is able to express their thoughts without fear, and concern. Of course one should not be voicing offensive statements against others, but be able to call spade, a spade.
- Purpose of life is to make others happy. It starts with the ones who’re near and dear to a person, let’s say parents, spouse, kids and expands up to people who depend on them like those who’re employed by them, are their clients.
- Purpose of life is to have enough time for leisure, where one can forget about somewhat petty things like getting the food on the table, and contemplate onto other non obvious thinking activities, like what is the purpose of life?
- Purpose of life is to get involved in various activities and things that stimulates an individual. Offers new skills. Then making a mash up, and form a niche. Find a new road, and discover new purposes.
- Purpose of life is to procreate. Some of us are the messengers. The warriors need to be in order to get the message. (This one was a little inspired by Transformers 3, with a spin from cocktails in Happy hours)
- Purpose of life is doing those things which one feels for, which one is able to look back, and smile about thinking to self “I’m so glad I did that”, or smile and think “I should not have done that” and not of the types “What if I had done that?”
- Purpose of life is pursuit of happiness. Not happiness, mind you . If you’d want to be just happy I could recommend drugs, and mind altering substances. I repeat, pursuit of happiness.
- Purpose of life is to locate and communicate with other like minded people around you. Those who are also looking for the purposes of their lives. Otherwise, one will feel like being present in the wrong century.
Do you have a purpose in life?